Sunday, December 7, 2008

My Destiny

I watch them. Out of the corner of my eye at the rehearsal dinner. The bride's grandparents. He looks at her adoringly, still holding out her chair for her as she sits down. She pats his hand when he talks. He visits the buffet line and brings her back a plate, knowing exactly what she wants. She feeds him a delicious piece of pastry from her fork. They pause. They kiss. I sigh.

I watch the young couple make a toast. The groom slips his hand around his fiancee's waist, she looks at him adoringly. She laughs at all his jokes. He pushes a stray hair back from her face.
Sometimes, you just know. You just know and you hope. But in this couple, I see that ease, that kindness, and I hope that in 25 years I am helping to plan their silver wedding anniversary. That years after that, they are like these grandparents. Love is enduring and kind, and a wedding is the ultimate place to see its many stages, its beauty.

Maybe this way I look at couples means it was my destiny to be a wedding planner and to celebrate such love in every bridal season. Love. The perfect touches, the sweetest gestures. A wedding and wedding planner that embraces that philosophy.

No comments: